Welcome to Brew Crew Baseball. Where I break down moves around the
league with numbers and analysis while focusing on the Brewers. Enjoy!

Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Prospect of Trading Prince Fielder

Let me be clear. I do not think this is a good idea if the think they can sign him long term. Prince is a franchise player, but if they evaluate the situation honestly and decide they can't afford him they should trade him. I have already voiced my opinion about why they should be able to afford him but I thought this would be a worthwhile post anyways. Doug Melvin has done stranger things.

So let's first look at who could be a suitor for Fielder. I am sure every team would want him but the Red Sox and Giants are the 2 teams that seem to come up in trade rumors for Prince. Here are 2 trades I would not be averse to:

Red Sox-Clay Buchholz, Casey Kelly, Ryan Kalish, and Anthony Rizzo
Giants-Matt Cain, Pablo Sandoval, and Zack Wheeler as a PTBNL

In both trades the Brewers throw in Mat Gamel to even things out. I think both are fair value for Prince. My favorite would be the Red Sox offer. Here's a variation of a Giants trade:

Brewers give up - Prince Fielder, Corey Hart, Angel Salome and Mat Gamel
Giants give up - Matt Cain, Buster Posey, Sandoval, Wheeler and Aaron Rowand

The only reason the Giants might go for this is if they are desperate to get rid of Aaron Rowand's contract. I would still be shocked if the Giants would give up Posey in any trade. The Red Sox offer is the most likely to happen. Hopefully the Brewers are able to sign Fielder long term though.